Mona’s Roti — Caribbean Food

Located at 4810 Sheppard Ave. East Unit 209 in Scarborough

Steph and I dined at Mona’s Roti several weeks back on a Monday.  I was searching for a Carribean restaurant in Scarborough (I’d been craving for some jerk chicken ever since I discovered it recently).  Mona’s Roti restaurant popped up on Urbanspoon as one of the top rated Carribean restaurants in Scarborough.

To our surprise, when we arrived, it was simply a run-down looking restaurant in a plaza that catered to mostly take-out and catering food.  Thankfully, when we walked in, we noticed there were 3 small tables near the side where we could still dine in at.

Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas, with a side of Curry Mango. $7.52

The food was all right.  I chose the jerk chicken with peas and rice (a staple of Carribean dishes) with a choice of curry mango (interesting!) as the vegetable side.  Steph ordered a curry chicken roti.

I really liked the peas and rice.  The rice and peas were soft and it was a good level of spicy.  The mango vegetables were in big chunks that were also quite spicy.  I was a little disappointed with the jerk chicken to be honest.  The meat was firm on the drumstick that I had but it wasn’t entirely flavourful or memorable.  The best jerk chicken I’ve had to date is still the one I tried at Cravins.

Curry Chicken Roti

I tried a bite of Steph’s roti.  It was all right.  I liked how the roti pastry was flaky and soft.

Would I return to this restaurant again?  Hmm probably not.  It seems that there are a huge number of Carribean restaurants in this area, so if I want to have jerk chicken or curry goat, I’m sure I can expand my horizons with a new restaurant instead. :)

Have you been here?  What did you think of their food?  Leave your comments below!

Mona's Roti-Caribbean Food on Urbanspoon

About these ads

About Karen M

I'm a stenographer, foodie, avid traveller, business lady, and a really silly person if you get to know me well enough. =)
This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Mona’s Roti — Caribbean Food

1. andy1076 says:

There are a couple or so Caribbean type restaurants here and a ton of Indian cuisines too that serve great roti prata, I always crave that :)

• stenoodie says:

Mmm, yum! Caribbean food is a cuisine that I’ve only explored recently this year. There’s more restaurants to try still! :)

• andy1076 says:

Yelp is going to go out of business with the quest to do reviews that you’ve embarked on ;)

• stenoodie says:

Haha, wait, but how?

• andy1076 says:

With all your detailed resto reviews of course lol :)

• stenoodie says:

Haha, but I’m only one person. Yelp and Urbanspoon is an entire community of food bloggers. I could never replace that. :)

• andy1076 says:

Well, Okie. In that case! you’ll have me as your biggest fan and I’ll go with your reviews :D

• stenoodie says:

Aw, thank you, Andy!! :D :D By the way, how’s the CORE working out so far? Almost a week now of taking it! :)

• andy1076 says:

Almost! I’ve yet to read the plan you set out for me though, so very sori! I’ve been insanely busy with work and everything :(

What I find amazing is that the CORE product has hugely suppressed my cravings for anything, I’ve not added any extra to my portions etc :) love it!

• stenoodie says:

All righty, I’m looking forward to your e-mail when you have time in your busy day. :)

Woohoo!! I’m so glad! It’s a fantastic line of products! It’s worked well for a lot of people actually! My friend helped her friend lose over 60 pounds in 3 months on the program!

• andy1076 says:

60! is that through the cleanser? I found that during my 140 pound loss (I swear to god I am not bragging or anything like that, promise) that eating vegan sped up the weight loss process, the fibres from the vegetables and taking away the meat also gives massive energy boosts :)

• stenoodie says:

Nope, it’s through one of the weight management programs. There are 4 of them. I sent you that one since it caters to your specific goal weight and time frame. But wow!! 140 pounds?! I’d like to see a before and after picture! Yes, vegetables really do help during the weight loss process. A lot of my friends who did the detox with me reported lots of energy after the third day of the detox! :)

• andy1076 says:

Mmmm…! the one picture I do have of when I was huge I was wearing dark clothes but my chin was pretty big, I’ll scan it later when I get home :) the after is as you see me now on my ‘About’ Photo, which I’m doing my best to maintain :)

• stenoodie says:

Nice!! That’s so amazing, Andy! I’m so proud of you! I’m also very happy that you’re taking more steps to achieve an even better and healthier lifestyle too! Don’t stop! :)

• andy1076 says:

oh I don’t intend to and with your coaching, I’ll likely get even more fit :) won’t be long before I’ll ask for a healthy stronger dose of energy generating supplements so I can kick my workouts up another notch :)

• stenoodie says:

I’m so excited for you, Andy! I am committed to helping you reach your weight loss goals! :)

• andy1076 says:

I super appreciate that Karen! let’s see where it takes me :) :)

• stenoodie says:

You’re very welcome, Andy! I’m so happy to get the chance to help you! :) Thank you for trusting me. :)

• andy1076 says:

Absolutely! :)

2. Lisa says:

Roti Hut > Mona’s
    Also, Roti Hut’s doubles = to die for. Mmmmm..

3. roti maker says:

good job nice infor thank you for sharing.