Introversion — that’s me

Every person is unique

Maybe it’s time for a little reflection post.  I hope everyone has been enjoying my daily foodie posts, restaurant reviews, and occasional travel flashback posts (more are coming and I’m still backlogged).

Summer time is here and that means there are more events on the horizon.  It’s great to socialize but it tires me out.  I really dislike small talk even though I like getting to know a person.  I thrive best in one-on-one settings.  I can only focus on one person talking at a time.  Even then, sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with too much stimuli around me that I need a break.  This is why I love blogging so much.  I get to reflect on my thoughts of a recent past experience, write about it, share my pictures and my thoughts.  I love writing.

Have you figured out who I am yet?  I’m an introvert, and I always have been.  I have a lot of thoughts, and I express them best through words in writing.  Not verbally.  It makes me nervous that I have to express myself in a small group.  But if I have a pre-prepared speech to tell to a crowd, that’s okay because I’m just projecting my thoughts and not have to interact in a back-and-forth conversation.

Extroverts vs. Introverts

Does anyone feel the same?  Extroverts won’t be able to relate because they get their energy from others.  I get my energy from within.  I hope you can respect that and leave me alone when I’ve been in the company of many people for a long time.  I absolutely need my rest — quiet rest that doesn’t involve any interaction.  When I’ve recharged myself and feel like I’m ready to interact again, you can definitely see me out.

The introverts will be able to relate.  Thanks Google for all the following images: 🙂

I can’t stand small talk. That is true. Talk to me about something of use right away instead.

This is me in a nutshell. Give me my space!

I love praise! And I love being fair to everyone around me. And definitely don’t change last-minute plans on me… it stresses me out

If my energy bar is empty and I’m still forced to be in a crowd of people, I will actually shut down and not talk to anyone else

There’s nothing wrong with this

I don’t want to hang out with you today (especially having already hung out with some earlier today). Leave me alone

Yup.

Seeks privacy when mentally tired –> Yes.

I’d rather not argue even if I disagree. It takes too much energy if I don’t care about you enough.

If there’s something that I did wrong, address it with me privately. If you reprimand me in front of others, I will resent you sooo much.

Fantastic infographic about how to understand an introvert

• Link to a great article about being an introvert.
  • Link to a list of famous introverts (like Albert Einstein, J.K. Rowling, Christina Aguilera, Emma Watson, Bill Gates, Abraham Lincoln, Warren Buffet).

Just for fun, a poll!

Are you an introvert or extrovert?  Leave your thoughts below. 🙂

About stenoodie

I'm a stenographer, foodie, avid traveller, and new mom who loves to share her experiences with the world.
This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Introversion — that’s me

1. Monika says:

I can totally relate to your post! I also get exhausted when I’m with someone for a long time and need time to recharge my batteries. I don’t agree fully to all the images you posted (for example image three, I’m not sure if extroverts like to be reprimanded in public?) but I do agree with what you wrote about your personal experiences. I also suck in groups while I thrive in one-to-one situations.

Thanks for sharing this personal post with us 🙂

• stenoodie says:

Thanks for your comment, Monika! 🙂 Hmm, you’re right. I don’t think anyone likes to be reprimanded publicly. That’s just plain rude and disrespectful, no matter who is doing the reprimanding or the receiver of it. I guess for the introverted, it is definitely a big no-no though and that’s why they included it in the images.

2. Jennifer says:

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain is a very good read about introverts (I’m an introvert myself and it helped me better understand why introverts are the way they are, but also appreciate the qualities of both introverts and extroverts).

3. sjschen says:

Interesting post! Still, I find the last two the graphics frames or treats the idea of being introverted as almost something pathological. I’ve seen remarkably similar diagrams for parents of autistic children.

I guess that says something about how our culture has co-oped extravertedness as our expected social norms. Which is too bad for all of us, extraverts included 🙂

• stenoodie says:

Hi! Thanks for your comment! 🙂 You’re right. That last infographic especially treats introverts like they’re a problem instead of just another personality characteristic. I believe it has to do with the fact that only one third of the population is introverted while the rest are extroverted; it’s simply an extrovert’s world out there unfortunately.

4. Simon says:

Long time reader. Enjoyed this post immensely being an introvert. My love of long-form writing makes sense now. Keep up the good work with your blog.

• stenoodie says:

Hi Simon! Do I know you in real life? Just curious lol. Anyway, thank you for your comment and I’m glad that you enjoyed this post. Thanks again! 🙂

5. gchan7127 says:

Aww, thanks for sharing such personal things with us, Karen! I know it must be very difficult for you to deal with people constantly when you’re an introvert. I’m glad you can express how you feel so well through words though. It’s great that you are aware of who you are and what you need. Don’t worry, I support you!!

I hope this post will help others understand you better as well. ❤

• stenoodie says:

Thank you as always, Grace! I already know how much you support and understand the things I’m going through <3. I'm happy that you are always there for support me ^___^. Yup, I hope this post allows others to understand me a little more. There are days when I just can't take another second of socializing and need to recharge. I love hanging out with people though; it's just that I need my me time afterwards. 🙂

6. Pingback: Who am I? An INFJ | stenoodie

7. Pingback: Alone Time | stenoodie

8. Pingback: I can’t wait for driverless cars to emerge | stenoodie

9. Pingback: More Introvert Pictures | stenoodie

10. Pingback: 2015: Year in Review | stenoodie

11. Pingback: My Network Marketing Journey | stenoodie

12. Nancy says:

Wow, I had no idea you were an introvert, although I am introverted as well and people don’t realize that because I’m so cheerful. You were so easy to talk to when we first met! I was feeling a big uncomfortable at the Media tasting and didn’t feel at ease until I started talking to you.

Have you ever taken this personality test? https://www.16personalities.com

I think you’ll find it interesting 🙂

• stenoodie says:

I think people get mistaken that being an introvert means that you are shy and don’t like talking to people but what it really means is that we just like to be alone after a while of socializing because we recharge best by ourselves. So we can still enjoy others’ companies. Just in small doses. 🙂

Aw, I’m glad I was able to open you up a bit after we chatted. ^_^

Oh, yes. I have taken that test before! One of the most accurate ones I have taken. I blogged about it too actually haha. The post is here: https://stenoodie.com/2015/06/17/infj/

Which result did you get? 🙂

• Nancy says:

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. I agree with you about the introvert definition…there are many ways to define introvert versus extrovert but I find the simplest way to define introvert versus extrovert is how one recharges… i.e. do they need to be alone to recharge, or do they need external stimuli?

In general (and again, I shouldn’t generalize), I find introverts aren’t the first to start a discussion, especially in a large group setting. That wasn’t the case when I met you. I felt everyone was shy at first at the Media Event but I found it to be so easy to have a conversation with you.

I’ll read your other blog post about INFJs but ahhhhhhh… you’re the “introverted” version of me! I am ENFJ!

• stenoodie says:

Thanks for the clarification hehe. I guess we all have different parts of us that appear to be extroverted sometimes and introverted sometimes even if we may be more so introverted. I guess it goes both ways. 🙂 You’re not the first one to tell me that I’m easy to talk to. I really enjoy meeting new people and striking up conversation with them. 🙂